6. Run Lists
A Run List is a collection of one or more automation flows that are executed on one or more Schedules. The execution of a Run List is controlled by the LEAPWORK Controller. Run Lists are used in many scenarios, but the most common are:
- Executing larger collections of test automation flows against e.g. development and/or test environments
- Grouping the flows in steps and controlling the test execution order
- Running one or more automation flows to trigger a business process on a timely basis
- Executing automation flows through the public REST API
- Executing the automation flows through the Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI-CD) Pipeline.
- Executing the same automation flows in different configurations, environments, machines etc.
After designing automation flows, users can create the Run List of flows to run automatically in different operating systems and browsers using the Scheduler configuration available under a Run List.
Creating a new Run List
To create a new Schedule, follow these steps:
- In the Run Lists module, click the New button.
- Choose the Run List option.
- Provide a name for the new Run List, e.g. 'Regression tests'.
Managing Run Lists
A Run List always consists of one or more steps. Each step in a Run List can have one or more flows to be executed. Users can add multiple steps to define and control the execution of the flows. The first step is always executed and the rest of the steps can be made conditional, i.e. their execution can be controlled on the basis of the outcome of the previous step.
There are two available conditions to choose in the 'Step':
||The Always run condition should be selected if the user needs to run all of the flows irrespective of whether the flows in any previous step have failed.
|Only run after success
||The Only run after success condition should be selected in a step when the user wants to run the tests in that step only if all the tests in the previous steps have succeeded.
Adding Flows to Steps
In order to add flows to the steps, do the following:
- Click the Add flows button in the corresponding step where you want to add flows.
- A popup window will open that shows all of the available flows. Users can select one or more flows by pressing the Ctrl button and clicking on the corresponding folder/flows.
- The Add button will be enabled on the popup after the user selects one or more flows. Users should click on the button in order to add the selected flows to the step.
- After adding the flows, the step will list all of the selected flows.
Adding Steps to Run Lists
In order to add steps to the Run List, do the following:
- There is an Add step button available before and after each step. The user can click on this button to insert a new step.
- Once the button is clicked, a new step will be inserted as shown below:
Once the Run List is ready, the user can bind it to a particular schedule for autonomous execution.
Duplicating Run Lists
In order to manage the flows efficiently or to make multiple Run Lists with similar flows and settings, user can create a copy of a Run List. Copying a Run List generates an entirely new copy of Run List and it's associated Schedules. However, the reference to the flows is maintained. So making changes in Run Lists steps or schedules will not impact the other one. If a flow is modified or deleted, the changes will be reflected in both the Run Lists. Users can manually add/remove steps and flows in the copied Run List as needed.
In order to copy a Run List, do the following:
- Navigate to the Run Lists section in LEAPWORK and right-click on the Run List that needs to be copied.
- Choose the 'Copy' option from the context menu.
- Choose a folder and/or simply right-click in the blank area of the Run List section.
- Select the 'Paste' option.
- A copy of the Run List is generated containing all the steps/flows as in the original Run List. The associated schedules are also duplicated. However, the schedule is disabled so that it doesn't trigger with the same settings i.e. Start Time and Agent(s).
- Users can manually rename the Run List and schedules, modify the Run List steps/flows, settings, etc. and enable the schedule as required.